Sunday, February 27, 2005

THE CHILD - HOPE & PROMISE

For Lezlie at Twelve

I brought you into a world
Of riots and drive by shootings
What made me believe
When I had navigated the labyrinth
Of choking, colic and croup
That I was done with terror?

I send you out each day
Book bag across your back
And cello under your arm
I am seeking for amulets and charms
I am weaving prayers through the colorless dawn

Keep her safe
Keep her true
She is so good
She bruises so easily
Oh, You who watch for sparrows falling
and number the hairs of heads
Don't let anyone hurt her

Then I watch you
Lean the golden wood against your body
Pulling rich sweet strands of Mozart from the air
Building a breath of timeless beauty
With your own strong hands

Your eyes lift from the pages of your book
Coming back to this world slowly
Bringing with them
Depth beyond your years
And a wisdom you were born with

In the end
Darkness can only be fought with light
And you
Fragile flame
With a core of blazing steel
Glow brighter every day

Leaving my door each morning
Going out into the world
With knowledge slung across your back
Beauty under your arm
Wisdom and laughter
In your eyes

You are your own talisman
Your shining self
The radiant answer
To my prayer


©Edwina Peterson Cross
November 1991